18 November 2008

Cloudy with a chance of pie


Sorry for the lack of posts this past week, surprisingly I've been a bit busy! I also have not done much exploring, the weather has been terrible. I should be used to this after seven years of practice in Seattle, but somehow the rain and the grey and wind are all getting to me. (I should also have good rain shoes, and yet...) I'm not sure if I'm bothered more because I know Zoli is someplace warm and sunny - I'll know the answer if my weather dissatisfaction magically disappears in a week.

Saturday I was invited to go on an excursion down the Elbe - we took two ferries to get to Teufelsbrück and then walked back on a path along the Elbe. Unfortunately I only took one photo the entire trip, on the first ferry before we went inside to avoid getting soaked.


The tide was high while we were walking, there were huge container ships on the river and it was obvious that it would be a lovely walk if the weather cooperated. Regardless, it was a lot of fun and much of the conversation was in German (very, very good for my listening comprehension, though I didn't say much). We didn't walk quite all the way back because of the rain, but the trip ended with us making waffles (topped with sour cherries and whipped cream), which apparently is a fairly common thing to do as an afternoon snack with friends. Given that I am an unrepentant waffle-lover, I was very pleased. Also pleasing: I was able to follow most of the German waffle-eating conversation and got some recommendations for nice cafés close to my apartment.


Other than working on my fellowship application I have been preparing a bit for Thanksgiving. I will have awesome (!!!) visitors and we're taking the train down to Strasbourg to celebrate with friends there. I am bringing pies and there's no canned pumpkin to be found here, so I roasted some using these instructions and half of a 2 kg pumpkin. (I'm going to use a different pie recipe however, I will let you know how it goes once it's made.)


I also bought myself someone to talk to while Zoli is gone.

So far the conversations have been rather one-sided but I have high hopes.

2 comments:

oma said...

hey kathleen,
the first few weeks of gray skies have been a downer here, too. it's not just germany. i'm impressed you're following conversations! and glad you landed in a place where people eat waffles as an afternoon snack. sounds delightful. have a great thanksgiving.
xox

LauraCliff said...

Hello Kathleen and Zoli, At long last I accessed your blog - what a fun way to stay connected to you both. I especially miss you today, it's going to be a bit quiet here today with 7 after last year's crowd. I'm impressed you're following along with your German friend's conversations and that you've got an invitation to thanksgiving dinner! Hope it's great!