08 November 2009

walking and eating


Venice is not one of those places I always wanted to visit. I knew very little about it except that it is Historically Important, you can get the itty bitty clams from the Adriatic that are unlike any other clams anywhere (thank you, Marcella Hazan) and, well, canals. So while I was excited to visit I really didn't know what to expect.


Despite warnings, I didn't prepare myself for giant crowds of tourists in teeny tiny alleyways. I also didn't prepare for getting utterly lost on the way from the bus station to my hotel, which was about as much of a straight shot as one gets in Venice. I blame the tour group in front of me. I was heading the same way as they were, but everyone said "Don't follow the tourists! Get lost!" So I did exactly that, to the nth degree. I went the exact opposite way that I should have, was off of my map for the first half an hour and only very, very belatedly realized what I had done. On the upside, I got a rather nice tour of some of the outer neighborhoods of Venice before coming to the monster crowds at the Rialto Bridge. And at least I only had a backpack for luggage.


Despite that rather rocky navigational start, walking around the city was mostly really pleasant. Our hotel was in San Polo, very close to the Frari church and within easy walking distance of just about everything. And we did what we generally do on vacation - ate, walked, saw some art (the Biennalle, actually, which was fun), walked some more and then ate. To the walking and eating we added vaporettos and traghettos (1 euro ferry gondolas, my favorite) and some high-quality people watching.


Much of our time was spent figuring out where we would have our next meal. Normally when we go on vacation we have a PLAN, both in terms of restaurants and specific things to eat. For whatever reason that wasn't as much the case this time and we did a fair amount of random restaurant seeking that devolved into being hungry and crabby. Basically, we are indecisive. We keep walking and looking and then we don't eat lunch because we never find a place that looks just right. And then we get cranky. It's not pretty.


But despite all of that, Venice was...fabulous. We found fantastic gelato, a few lovely restaurants and even some unfiltered Prosecco for an afternoon drink. (I also found the most vicious and enormous mosquitoes I have ever encountered.) Mostly though we just relaxed and enjoyed being in the same place.


And now I would love to go back. I would plan it differently this time (stay in an apartment instead of a hotel, make time to swim, bathe in DEET before sitting beside a canal to eat an espresso granita con panna) but there was so much we did not get to see, and so many foods we weren't able to try. Next time.

3 comments:

oma said...

again, these photos are just lovely. makes me wish i were wandering the streets of venice. although waiting for a cute baby to wake up so we can go for a walk on a sunny day in seattle in november isn't so shabby. hope you two are well!

Kathleen said...

oma, i am loving your photos of josephine! she's such a cutie. i would take sunny november in seattle, the weather here is the pits. one more italy post to come and then back to hamburg stuff.

Alisha said...

Aha, John and I know that searching for the perfect restaurant ---> indecisive---> hungry and crabby trajectory very well. Glad you managed to find some good eats anyway! Venice has surprisingly good food for such a touristy place.